Tuesday 29 July 2014

Some Logan thoughts

Friday, a wonderful day. Though we were tired and ready for the weekend, everyone woke up relatively chirpy and ready for the day. We got ready and boarded the bus, at about 8:30; so relatively speaking, we would arrive at community around 10:00! I wasn't super excited for the day; I was tired of being touched grabbed, and I just wanted the weekend. But the day turned out to be fantastic. At the beginning, it was the careworker appreciation time. We sang songs and danced. The smiles and laughter that the careworkers show, is literally irreplaceable. Through so much pain and suffering they still have joy and smiles on their faces. We first world people are so selfish, yet we don't even know. We complain and whine when we don't get our way, yet these people have hardly anything. After the singing, we said bible verses of encouragement to them, while we washed all their feet. I was nervous, because I don't even like to wash my own feet, let alone someone else's, but it turned out to be ok. We ate cake with them, and then we gave them their gifts. They loved them. My friend named Kwynn and I sent to deliver two gifts to the workers that were making the food, they were so happy. They bounced up and down and gave us hugs. That was cool. After that, we continued the day like any other. I was able to hang out a lot with a girl named Exudah, she was very shy and hardly said anything, but on the inside she was precious. During the day me and her played and danced around, then later I gave her some piggyback rides before lunch. I don't think she wanted to leave me, but I made sure she did; cause believe me, she needed to eat and I needed to help wash hands and dishes. After lunch, she lay on my lap for awhile, as she played with a stick in the dirt.
Later, we ate with the care- workers. This meal, was probably the best meal we had had, so far. It was n'chima and beans, instead of n'chima, spinach and fish. I felt bad, because Exudah was left alone, but I knew on the inside that I probably shouldn't have had her right beside me. Unfortunately, after awhile she started to cry, so Kathy ( an awesome friend on the team) picked her up and cuddled her. I was super jealous, I kept on walking past her, hoping beyond hopes, that she would reach out to me. But this was to no avail. Instead I was able to toss a ball around, with a boy that was probably just a tad younger than me. He was very good, he caught most of my throws, and I caught most of his, ( though I did drop a few, cause I was trying to look all cool)! About 10 minutes passed, and it was time to go. I said good-bye to this awesome boy, and the rest of the careworkers and then we left. Wow what a day in community.

Logan

No comments:

Post a Comment