Sunday 27 July 2014

A Bleak Existence

On Friday I, along with with Rob and Alexa, visited a neighbouring community. It is one that is even poorer than Maranatha. We took the bus along a very narrow road close into community and then walked the rest of the way in. Although there are some men living here, most are gone working in the DRC. They ride or walk a bike miles into the DRC, buy 3 10lb bags of coal, each worth K25 (equal to about $4.50). They then walk their bikes miles back home, spend a night sleeping, then walk the next day to Ndola (MANY miles away) where they sell each bag for K50 (equal to about $9). So a 2 day trip brings about $13 or so. By the way, the minimum wage here is $6 for an 8 hr day. Keep in mind that food in the grocery stores is generally more expensive than at home. Yikes!

Although this  community is right on the border of the DRC,  thankfully most of the fighting is in the northern half of the DRC and so this community doesn't see much harm that way. Their harm comes in the form of starvation.

We visited 3 homes that day. The first one showed signs of joy and happiness despite their poverty. The children all sat close to us, smiling and acting all shy. I loved touching them and seeing them slowly open up to me. Their smiles, at first tentative, broaden to grins that spread across their entire faces. It is so beautiful. I could see, despite the bleakness of their future, a hope and a joy that defies reason.

The remaining 2 homes broke my heart. For in both of them, the dire circumstances of their situations spoke louder than words. The children all huddled in the dirt on a mat around their mothers; none offering even a slight smile. There was no hope in their eyes; only a cloud of despair. Babes sucked from breasts that surely were nearly devoid of milk; trying desperately to get the nourishment they needed, to no avail. For when the moms aren't eating themselves, what could possibly exist in their bodies to nourish their babies? When we asked those 2 moms what they wanted us to pray for, they said for food and help for the children. We found out later that these people may only get 1 meal every 3-4 days. Crazy to think of! Horrifying even. How can that exist in a world where people throw out food by the tonnes? Where we in America (and many other nations) think nothing of spending money daily on coffee, muffins, and ice cream? Where so many of us have more money than we really need? For "needs" are very different from our "wants". Are they not?????

Questions I ask myself. But I am learning that there are some questions which have no answers. But that gives us no excuse. No excuse to live lives of luxury while others are suffering.  Does this mean I cannot enjoy some of what god has given me? I believe no. I don't think god calls me or us to completely deny the material or family blessings we have. For to do so would be ungrateful. BUT, I do believe god calls us to walk alongside the poor and suffering. To share what we have, to advocate for others, to listen and obey The Lord as he calls EACH of us to look out for others. Not only overseas, but also those who walk among us in our neighbourhoods, our own communities. For even here in Zambia, I see the dire poor, and then in town I see those with more. Do they share and walk alongside their neighbours?

 I know it will never happen, but I would love to see a world where the playing field truly is level. Where there are no rich and no poor. No hierarchy. And I guess I will one day; in heaven. But somehow that does not comfort me much. For as a Christian, I am called to be part of bringing gods kingdom to earth now. Not just "wait it out". Not just live for myself. Not just trust that the poor will one day "get their reward" so why do anything now. NO! My god and my heart tells me that I need to help and love and care now.

And so I wrestle with these thoughts. But somehow I feel more at peace with them. Knowing that I want to do my part in walking with the poor and suffering. In following gods heart for them.
In asking him to show me how to daily live in ways that care for the poor and suffering. How to love and care for my brothers and sisters in Africa across this vast ocean as well as at home. And when I make space for god then I can be confident He will show me the way. For my heart feels just as called here as it does to canada. And I want to make a difference wherever my body stays.

Thanks again for listening. And to rather heavy words. My next blog might be lighter, I will try. :)

C


No comments:

Post a Comment